2013年2月8日 星期五

Making Gluten Free Easy

Eight years ago, when I found out I had gluten intolerance, I ate my last bowl of wheat pasta with all the solemnity of somebody taking her last meal, curled into a ball and cried. Not only would I have to give up staples like pasta and bread but I would no longer be able to eat my favorite food in the world: Pizza.

Eating like a caveman (think meat, vegetables and an apple for dessert) may have been healthy, but it was definitely boring. Thankfully, after doing some online research, I was able to find a great place where I could order gluten free food. It opened a whole new world of possibilities for me but the shipping costs took quite a toll on my monthly budget.

The great news is, most of the foods that had to be ordered online years ago are now widely available not only in health food stores but in grocery chains country-wide. If youre just finding out you need a special diet now, this list of ten gluten free alternatives to foods you already eat should make going gluten free easy!

Tinkyada Rice Pasta Some gluten free pastas have a bit of a stale taste and texture. With Tinkyada, you dont have to worry about that. Its great flavor and light, fluffy texture will make the transition from wheat pasta to rice quite easy. Even those who dont require a gluten-free diet will enjoy it!

Samis Millet & Flax Bread It used to be that gluten free bread came in two flavors: cardboard or wood. Samis Millet & Flax Bread is as soft and flavorful as those others arent. Its hands-down the best Ive ever tried. Just keep it frozen and when youre read to use it, pop it in the toaster oven for a minute or two before adding the butter or sandwich fixings.

Mini Recipe:Get the hamburger buns, open one up and top with your favorite gluten free pasta sauce and toppings and bake on 300 degrees for about ten minutes or until crispy. This is a great make-shift pizza.

Vans Gluten Free Toaster Waffles These waffles taste so much like traditional waffles, youll find yourself checking the box once or twice to be sure what youre eating is actually gluten free! They come in different flavors too: Plain, Blueberry and Apple Cinnamon.

GlutenFreedas Instant Oatmeal I always thought that oats were stricken from a gluten free diet but because of the way this brand is processed, I could finally start eating one of my favorite breakfast foods again! Its prepared just like traditional oatmeal, tastes great and comes in Maple Raisin, Banana Maple and Apple Cinnamon.

Blue Diamond Nut Thins Got cheese? Then this is the cracker worthy of the topping. Some rice crackers are thin and crumble easily but not these. They have a rich, buttery texture and come in eight tasty flavors to dress up or eat alone.

Pamelas Cookies If you love cookies and milk, try Pamelas. Unlike some gluten free cookies, Pamelas have an inviting chewy texture, are made with organic ingredients and come in a wide variety of flavors.

Amys Gluten Free Cheese Pizza One of the trickiest dishes to get right when youre going gluten free is pizza. If you dont have the time to make one from scratch at home, I recommend Amys. Its quick, easy and has a tasty flavor. Just bake it in the oven for about 15 minutes and enjoy.

Amys Gluten Free Macaroni & Cheese Macaroni & cheese is my favorite comfort food so I was so happy when I found Amys. Its rich, creamy and delicious and Ive been told you cant tell the difference between it and those containing gluten. When you cook it in the oven, instead of the microwave, it gets a nice brown crisp at the top. Yum!

Raw Revolution Breakfast Bars I actually have a few favorites when it comes to gluten free breakfast bars but I picked these because they are not processed, but organic, live food. They come in six flavors and my personal favorites are raspberry and chocolate and chocolate and coconut. Im not fond of the spirulina and cashew. Its got a slimy texture and strange, saccharine sweetness to it that lingers.

Mr. Spice Condiments I like Mr. Spice condiments because theyre organic and offer a lot of variety. If youre looking for something new and interesting, this brand offers nine different flavors from barbeque sauce to Indian curry. My personal favorite is the garlic steak sauce. I use it mixed with plain yogurt for a unique, creamy topping on rice pasta.

There are a lot more gluten free products I love but the ones Ive suggested above, in my opinion, are the ones that taste the most like their gluten-based counterparts. This might make the transition to gluten free eating easier for you and your family.

I wish you the best in your adventures in the gluten free world. Gluten free living can be tough, but it can also be a chance to get creative!

Note: I am not receiving compensation to endorse any of the above products. Theyre just my personal favorites.



???????

沒有留言:

張貼留言